As people head toward their late twenties, they start to notice a few fine lines and wrinkles forming under their eyes. This is a sign that the skin cells around the eyes are beginning to lose collagen. When this happens, the skin also reduces its ability to renew itself.
While the forming of fine lines around the eyes is an absolutely natural process of aging, it can very be tormenting to most people. Whether or not you accept these fine lines as part of your life, preventing or reducing its chances of developing can be a healthy thing. Skin is a part of your body, hence, it deserves the love and care from its owner.
When fine lines at the corner of the eyes start to become deeper and more pronounced, it is better known as laugh lines or crow’s feet. This type of wrinkles typically occurs as people reach mid-age. This is the result of the reduction of collagen and elastin in the skin around the eyes, hence, losing its elasticity and volume.
Many triggers of crow’s feet and fine lines around the eyes that induce their development can be minimized with some simple lifestyle changes, remedies, and clinical techniques. While it may be difficult to fight the growth of wrinkles around the eyes, there may be some measures that you can take to help reduce its intensity.
10 Helpful Approaches to Minimizing Crow’s Feet
Protect Yourself from the Sun: Use Sunscreen
One of the main contributors to the development of crow’s feet is exposure to UVA rays or harmful rays of the sun. Each time you step out of the house, you are at risk of getting exposed to UVA rays that may result in sun-damaged skin, including crow’s feet and fine lines around your eyes.
One of the best ways to prevent this from happening is to apply a good amount of sunblock or sunscreen with the right SPF. You should also manage the frequency of exposing yourself to the sun’s harmful rays. When you protect your skin from sun damage, you are not just slowing down the process of aging, but also reducing the risk of skin cancer.
Eat Foods that are Rich in Antioxidants
Free radicals break down your body’s healthy cells. Some factors that deliver free radicals include X-rays, air pollutants, tobacco smoking, and certain chemicals. Although the human body has natural mechanisms that can fight them, this ability weakens in time. However, this can be alleviated by antioxidants.
Antioxidants can help maintain vigor in your body as it protects your cells from future damage. Fortunately, antioxidants can be found in a wide variety of food groups.
Here are some foods that can help you minimize crow’s feet and fine lines around your eyes:
- Herbs and spices are highly recommended anti-inflammatories like basil, garlic, turmeric, and rosemary. These can help protect your skin from unwarranted swelling, irritations, redness, and other forms of inflammation. These herbs and spices have natural antibiotics and antioxidants that can be a valuable addition to your crow’s feet and fine lines skincare regimen.
- Avocados or guacamole is not just a dip but is also a good source of Vitamins A and C, potassium, and antioxidants. Avocados contain fatty acids that promote fast skin healing and blood circulation in your heart. The high amounts of potassium in avocados can improve the skin’s moisture absorption, while vitamins A and C are good anti-aging agents.
- Bananas make great desserts and face masks. And just like avocados, they have high levels of potassium and vitamin C. It also contains antioxidants and vitamin E that promotes skin and eye immunity.
- Pomegranates are known to bring life to your lifeless skin. It contains a good amount of vitamin C and K, potassium, protein, and antioxidants. This fruit can help revitalize your skin cells, hydrate your skin, clear fluid build-up that causes puffy eyes, and keep your muscles and skin volume and firmness. Thus, pomegranate is a good tool to combat crow’s feet and fine lines around the eyes.
- Chocolates vary in contents. You should look for chocolates that contain a significantly low amount of sugar but with a substantially good amount of cocoa. It has to be power-packed with natural antioxidants to keep your skin healthy while it maintains its youthful complexion.
- Tomatoes are packed with high levels of vitamins A and C. It can be used as eye masks fifteen minutes before you hit the sack and it is also a good addition to your balanced diet. Tomatoes are reliable wrinkle-reducing fruits that are best for salads and sandwiches.
- Leafy Greens include spinach, cabbage, lettuce, chicory, watercress, arugula, and many more. These vegetables can help increase the body’s energy level that promotes fast healing, repair, regeneration, and renewal of skin cells.
- Coconut Oil is best for sauteing, frying, and salad dressing. You can also drink coconut oil as it is or use it as a face serum. Coconut oil has compelling nutritional benefits to the skin and body. It boosts the reproduction of collagen in the skin while regenerating new skin cells.
- Goji Berries are loaded with Vitamin C and polysaccharides that promote proper digestion. It efficiently filters waste and toxins while absorbing the vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Goji berries also help promote vibrant healthier-looking skin.
- Fatty fish are rich in omega 3 and anti-aging agents that help fight crow’s feet and fine lines around your eye. These can be found in tuna, salmon, herring, trout, and anchovy. Fatty fish helps promote more supple and smoother skin.
3. Relax Your Skin: Massage Around the Eyes
Crow’s feet and fine lines around your eyes intensify because of repeated and relentless facial muscle contractions when you show natural facial expressions. One of the best ways to combat this is to help your facial muscles to relax.
A stressful day at work can adversely affect your skin, especially the face, hence a good quick face massage can help soothe it. Gently massage the skin around your eyes with your index and middle fingers while applying some eye cream to help loosen the muscles.
4. Moisturize Your Eyes: Use Eye Cream
The best way to prevent premature eye wrinkles is to dodge them right away. You are never too young to use an eye cream. As you reach adulthood, you may start moisturizing your eyes with a good jar of day and night eye creams. Combating early signs of fine lines around your eye can help prevent the development of crow’s feet.
The rationale behind eye moisturization is hydrating your skin around it. If the skin is plumped with hydration, it is less likely to lose its elasticity and volume, hence lessening wrinkle build-up. When choosing the right eye cream for your eyes, you may check for hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, honey, cucumber extract, retinoids, vitamin C, and omega 3.
5. Consider Natural Remedies for Crow’s Feet
Look through your fridge or kitchen shelves and check for items that are packed with a good amount of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They can be as good as an ingredient for your meal as they can help fight the growth of crow’s feet.
Here are some natural remedies that you may find in your home:
- Egg whites are packed with proteins, potassium, and magnesium. It can help reduce the pronounced appearance of crow’s feet. Just whip the egg whites and apply them around your eyes. With constant use, you will feel that your skin will become tighter and more hydrated.
- Lemons and yogurt have alpha-hydroxy acids or AHA that help remove dead skin cells. Simply mix full-fat natural yogurt and lemon juice, apply the mixture around the eyes, and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Be sure not to get any mixture inside your eyes. In case it does, wash it off immediately with cold running water. This mixture can also be used on the face and neck as a primer before applying your favorite face cream.
- Papaya is rich in vitamin C and papain that removes dead skin cells as it tightens the skin around the eyes. It also helps combat free radicals that cause damage to your skin. Mash a good amount of papaya and apply it around your eyes like an eye mask. After about fifteen to twenty minutes, rinse it off with cold water. This can help stimulate collagen production around your eyes.
- Aloe-vera is one of the most common antioxidant agents that can help fight those fine lines around your eyes as well as the crow’s feet that are starting to develop at the corner of your eyes. It contains essential vitamins and minerals that moisturize and brighten your skin. Carefully slice off the top skin of the aloe vera to expose the gel-like substance in its leaf. Use the gel-like substance as a serum and apply it while gently massaging or tapping the skin around your eyes.
- Cucumbers contain vitamins B5 and B6, thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin that nourishes and smoothens the skin to reduce the formation of fine lines around the eyes. There are two ways of using cucumber as a home remedy for crow’s feet and fine lines. The most common option is to thinly slice the cucumber and place the slices on your eyes and face for at least fifteen minutes. The second option is to extract the cucumber’s juice and apply it around the eyes and on your face and neck. Leave it for 10 minutes and rinse your face with cold water. Your face will absorb the nourishing content of cucumber and with constant use, you can bid crow’s feet goodbye.
Note, however, that natural home remedies are not an overnight affair. The use of these remedies needs constant use to acheive optimum results. You may also be wary of allergens that some home remedies may contain as they may adversely affect, irritate, or infect your skin. In case of irritation, immediately visit your trusted cosmetic doctors for proper treatment and relief.
6. Use a Silk Pillowcase
A pillowcase made from silk is a gentler material as compared to cotton. Although cotton may be comfortable and soft, it also accelerates the formation of crow’s feet and fine lines around your eyes. This is especially true if you tend to sleep on your stomach or on your side. Silk is a better choice of material because this causes less friction on the skin, hence, lesser risks of wrinkles.
7. Shield Your Eyes
Reduce the glaring effects of sunlight with a good pair of sunglasses or a nice stylish sun hat. If you are advised to use a pair of reading glasses, use them. These can help prevent your eye and facial muscles from becoming overworked or over-contracted.
Use a Stylish Sun Hat
A very practical way to protect your eyes is to wear a sun hat or a sun visor. If you are not into wearing glasses, using a hat can be helpful and stylish, too. However, even if you are wearing a hat, make sure to still apply sunscreen to ensure skin protection.
Wear Your Lenses
If you tend to squint when bright light flashes to your eyes or when you need to see clearly, a pair of eyeglasses can help prevent this from happening. By reducing the reasons why you should squint, you are also reducing the chances of forming wrinkles around your eyes.
Wear UV Protection Sunglasses
While sunscreen can protect your skin from the harshness of sun damage, it is more helpful to your eyes and the skin around them if you could wear sunglasses with UV protection. This way you double the chances of warding off crow’s feet.
Exfoliating your skin helps shed unwanted dead skin cells while encouraging new skin cells to rebuild. Use a light exfoliator with enzymes to stimulate volume development around the eye.
Eye exfoliants are a great tool to remove skin impurities while soothing irritation and reducing dark circles. Milk can be used as a natural exfoliant since it contains glycolic acid that does not just exfoliate the skin but also promotes the production of collagen in the skin.
9. Stay Hydrated
When the skin is properly hydrated, the skin tends to maintain its suppleness and smoothness. A perfectly hydrated skin holds moisture that prevents the skin from loosening and drying. Thus, it reduces the risks of developing wrinkles and sagging of the skin.
Skin hydration should be made topically by applying dermatologically tested and approved moisturizers and by drinking the recommended amount of water daily. It is advised to drink about eight glasses of water every day, to keep your body healthy and hydrated. It also helps flush away toxins that can trigger wrinkles and crow’s feet.
10. Turn to the Professionals
While there are self-initiated and natural home remedies available to help minimize the development of crow’s feet and fine lines around the eyes, there are clinically recommended treatments that can provide long-term remedies.
Here are some professional cosmetic solutions to help combat those fine lines around your eyes:
- Botox or Botulinum toxin one of the most effective treatments for crow’s feet and fine lines around the eyes. This technique specifically targets the muscles around the eyes. As it temporarily relaxes the eye muscles, it works by overlying and smoothening the wrinkles.
- Dermal Fillers are gel-like substances that are injected underneath the skin to restore volume and contour. This is one of the most popular procedures for removing crow’s feet. The purified protein that is injected into the skin helps rebuild the plumpness of the skin, hence, revitalizing skin tone and firmness.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing is the best option for treating mild to moderate wrinkles. This procedure helps stimulates the production of collagen in the skin for a more even-looking and softer skin.
- Extended Blepharoplasty involves extending the incision into the temple area to remove excess skin.
- Facial Rejuvenation employs harvesting of fat from other parts of your body and using the fat to fight facial wrinkles by injecting it into the facial muscles.
- Skin Tightening is a technique that uses radiofrequency to soften the skin and gradually lifts the creases and deep-seated lines around the eyes.
- Chemical Peels are designed to strip off the outer layer of skin to reveal smoother and less wrinkled skin.
Find the Solution That Is Right for You
These remedies are “skintastic” solutions that can help rid those pesky lines around your eyes. However, you should also remember that crow’s feet and the fine lines around your eyes are the lifelong results of the times you smiled, giggled, or laughed with your family and friends. They are like little baggage of happiness that you carry during your lifetime. Thus, whether you choose to say goodbye to your crow’s feet or you let them wrinkle up your lifelong joys, just keep smiling because you are beautiful inside and out.
Make your wrinkle-free skin shine with a smile today!