Do you see loose or sagging skin that disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid?
Are you bothered by the puffy and fatty deposits in your eyelids?
Are bags under the eyes starting to develop?
Can you feel and see the droopiness of your lower eyelids?
Or do you perhaps see excess skin and fine wrinkles swiftly forming near your lower eyelid?
A yes to all or any of these questions may warrant you to take an eyelid surgery and ward off these undesirable signs of eyelid aging.
What is eyelid surgery?
Brighton Eyelid surgery is a cosmetic surgical procedure performed by experienced and highly trained cosmetic doctors or surgeons. The aim of this treatment is to improve the texture of your eyelids while improving the appearance of your skin.
Causes of Eyelid Conditions
Aside from the inexorable process of skin aging, another common trigger of drooping, sagging, or bagging eyelids is genetics. If you notice these conditions from your family members, especially your elders, it is most likely that you will inherit these characteristics.
Other causes of eyelid conditions include the following:
- Inflammation of the eyelids caused by bacterial infection;
- Skin conditions like rosacea or seborrheic dermatitis;
- Eye injury;
- Medical conditions or diseases such as diabetes or myasthenia gravis;
- Muscle weakening around the eyes or on the eyelids;
- Eye irritation or infection;
- Overstretching of the eye area during a facial massage;
- Too much smoking or drinking or alcohol-based beverages; and
- Medications that leads to skin dehydration.
Eyelid Surgery or Blepharoplasty Procedure
Before the Procedure
During your consultation, your cosmetic doctor will evaluate your facial anatomy thoroughly and create a treatment plan that suits your eyelid enhancement needs. Your doctor will discuss an overview of the procedure to help you understand how your desired look can be achieved.
A few days before the procedure, you will be advised to avoid drinking alcohol, smoking, and taking some medications that may have an adverse effect on the outcome of your eyelid surgery. You may also need to follow a light diet the day before the surgery.
Right before the surgery, a sedative will be administered to help you feel more comfortable during the procedure. In most cases, general anesthesia will be administered for upper blepharoplasty while local or topical anesthetics will be applied for lower blepharoplasty.
During the Procedure
All eyelid surgical procedures must be performed in a clean, safe, and comfortable environment. Depending on the type of eyelid surgery, your cosmetic doctors will start the procedure by marking the incision sites of the eyelids.
For upper blepharoplasty, the incisions are made along the crease of the upper eyelids. This procedure involves the upper eyelid structures and the surrounding soft tissues only. It works by eliminating the excess skin and fat pads on your upper eyelids.
For lower blepharoplasty, the incisions are made just below your lower eyelashes. This procedure is designed to reduce eye bags, fine lines, deep-seated wrinkles, and puffiness in the lower eyelids.
After the Procedure
After the eyelid surgery, you may need to spend a few hours in a recovery room where possible complications are observed. When the surgery outcome is successful, you will be sent home to recuperate and recover.
You may also experience blurred or double vision from the lubricating ointment applied to your eyes during the surgery but this is a temporary aftereffect. You may also feel watering eyes, light sensitivity, puffy or numb eyelids, swelling, bruising, pain, or discomfort during the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours following the procedure. However, these downtimes will slowly diminish as you heal from the surgery.
Recovery from Eyelid Surgery
You will be advised to apply cold packs or cooling gel pads in about ten to fifteen-minute intervals for a few hours after waking up on the first day of your recovery period. The cold compress will help reduce the swelling and keep the bruises to a minimum. Make sure not to put too much pressure on the surgical site to aid fast healing.
This cold compress procedure should be continued until your second day of recovery. On your third day of recovery, you should shift from cold to warm compresses to promote faster healing. Your cosmetic doctor will also provide a list of DOs and DON’Ts that you should follow during the recovery period.
Here is a list of the things that you may need to consider after your eyelid surgery:
- Gently clean your eyelids with a clean cloth or sterilized wipes;
- Use doctor-prescribed eye drops or ointments;
- Avoid strenuous activities like heavy lifting, aerobics, swimming, and jogging for the next seven days;
- Prevent yourself from smoking and drinking alcohol-based beverages;
- Do not rub your eyes;
- When you are using contact lenses, avoid putting them on for the next few weeks;
- Wear dark-tinted sunglasses when you are going out to protect the skin of your eyelids from sun and wind;
- Prevent yourself from wearing makeup for a few weeks following the procedure, especially on the surgical site as this may hamper the healing of your eyelids;
- Sleep on your back and make sure that your head is inclined and positioned higher than your chest for a few days;
- Make sure to visit your cosmetic doctor on the scheduled return checkup to have stitches removed, if there are any and to evaluate the success of the procedure; and
- Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, and other medications or supplements that may trigger increased bleeding and swelling.
In case you need to take pain relievers, seek the advice of your cosmetic doctors and ask for a prescription. Although it rarely happens, you should also seek medical attention immediately when you experience shortness of breath, chest pain, severe eye pain, unusual bleeding, and vision problems during your recovery period.
Finding the Best Provider of Eyelid Surgery in Brighton
SKIN CLUB Cosmetic Doctors is the best provider of eyelid surgery in Brighton. We believe that each client has unique and personal eyelid enhancement needs that require patient-specific consultations, treatment plans, and aftercare recovery regimens. Thus, our experienced and highly skilled cosmetic doctors will work with you to ensure that we acheive the eyelid enhancement that you deserve.
We use only the highest quality of dermatologically tested products as well as the most advanced surgical devices. Our eyelid surgical procedures aim to provide youthful eyelids that will boost the vibrance of your eyes.
Rejuvenate your eyelids today and enjoy youthful-looking eyes forever, try SKIN CLUB Cosmetic Doctors’ eyelid surgery Brighton!