Losing weight and having a lean toned body is almost everyone’s goal. However, some results of extreme weight loss can be frustrating due to excess skin under their arms or the droopy pouch on their abs. Read on the things you can to manage the after-effects of the weight loss you worked so hard for.
During pregnancy, your skin can adapt and expand to make room for the weight that you gain. Collagen and elastin fibers are responsible for the skin’s contraction and bouncing back to its original form. However, for people who have been overweight or obese, the skin stretches gradually and oftentimes, stretched for a significant amount of time.
As we age, the production of proteins in our skin degrades and the retraction decreases. So no matter how fast or slowly you lose weight, if the skin has been stretched for several years, most likely you will have excess skin. Aside from age, sun exposure and smoking may impact collagen production of your skin. So the more you lose, there’s a greater chance of more skin hanging from your body.
Excess sagging and loose skin is not only embarrassing to one’s person’s image but it may also lead to physical challenges. It can interfere with daily activities if weight loss is more than 50 kgs and may promote skin irritation due to trapped perspiration.
How to cope with excess skin after weight loss?
While correcting excess skin means working hard to improve your skin’s elasticity and appearance, there are things that you can do to tighten and deal with it.
1.Lifestyle treatments for tightening loose skin
- Resistance training will increase your muscle mass and fill the areas where the fats were lost.
- Protein consumption is vital for collagen production and prevents skin atrophy, dryness, and reduces wrinkles.
- Collagen hydrolysate consumption via supplements or home-made bone broth increases collagen strength.
- High-quality fish oil supplements with a higher content of EPA/DHA (omega-3 fatty acids) can improve skin elasticity within 3 months of consumption.
2.Cosmetic surgery treatments
If you have lost a significant amount of weight, you might first think of surgery as the only option to remove excess skin. There are nonsurgical treatments available to improve your skin’s tone rather than going under the knife.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) stimulates collagen production through the use of the patient’s blood, thus, after 2-3 treatments, it can make the skin firmer and appear tightened.
- Laser Skin Tightening contracts the skin via heat emission. Unfortunately, SKIN CLUB – Cosmetic Doctors do not offer this treatment yet.
- Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) might be recommended for those who had an extreme weight loss. It is an invasive procedure that removes excess skin and tightens abdominal muscles. Unfortunately, SKIN CLUB – Cosmetic Doctors also do not offer this treatment yet.