Our skin loses elasticity and laugh lines and wrinkles will start to appear as we age, which is called nasolabial folds. These folds tend to deepen and become more obvious with age and sometimes called as smile lines. Almost all people have nasolabial folds except for those who have faces that were paralyzed and also newborns.
Nasolabial folds are the lines that extend from the outside corner of your nose which run vertical from the outer part of your mouth down to your jawline. These are caused by excess fat on the cheeks and loss of collagen resulting in thinning of the skin, which causes the sagging of fat and tissues around your smile. Some other causes are excessive loss or gain of weight, too much sun exposure, lack of sleep, smoking and loss of elastin in the skin.
Some Possible Anti Wrinkle Injections/Fillers Options Based on Age
- 30s to 40s: Fillers hyaluronic acid treatments like Product J or Restylane can fill the wrinkles and be pushed up to prevent nasolabial folds from sagging which usually last between 12 to 18 months.
- 40s to 50s: Anti Wrinkle Injections, which is also known as Botulinum toxin, helps muscles get relaxed and delaying the development of sagging and wrinkles at this age.
- 60s and up: At this age, only Anti Wrinkle Injections will not help. Some laser treatments can be done to get rid of nasolabial folds apart from facelifts or extensive surgeries.
What Are the Treatments?
Cosmetic treatments can be performed alone or can be combined to acheive desired results – to help soften nasolabial folds and wrinkles.
Non surgical skin tightening
This treatment is recommended for patients whose folds and/or lines are relatively superficial. It also has no downtime and involves minimal risk. Laser treatments such as Thermage or Vivace which are a series of radio frequency, IPL such as Halo and Titan and ultrasound treatments such as Venus Legacy and Ultherapy help tighten the skin around your mouth, cheek area and jaw. What these treatments do is to help stimulate the production of collagen by heating the dermal layer but not damaging the skin and gives lifted and tightened skin.The doctor will advise series of treatments which are 18-24 months apart. Visible results can be seen over 2-3 months after each treatment.
Neurotoxin such as Anti Wrinkle Injections, Xeomin and Dysport
While the muscles are relaxed which might be the cause of the mouth being pulled down while the rest of the face is at rest, the doctor might do extensive procedure with the deepening appearance of lines. Apparently, these neurotoxins are not getting administered solely to treat the areas. These are often recommended to be combined with dermal filler to fill nasolabial folds or lines and soften the muscles around the mouth. The only way to a successful result is to choose and experienced doctor who can perform the treatment.
Dermal Fillers such as Restylane, Sculptra, Product J
Injectables like dermal fillers has increased by 39% for the past 5 years. Unsurprisingly, one of the best treatments for nasolabial folds and marionette lines is the use of Restylane, Sculptra and Product J which are hyaluronic-acid based products. These are replacing the lost volume safely and smoothing out lines caused by repetitive moments which might also be producing premature facial sagging. During consultation, the doctor will assess and check the targeted area as well as the depth of your folds since fillers come with different types and thickness.
The doctor can also inject fat in the nasolabial fold to make it less noticeable. It will be taken from another part of the body and injects to fill in the targeted area.
The results are temporary which can last from 6 months to a year, however immediate with less risk and fast recovery. However, if your nasolabial folds or lines are already advanced, no fillers can have it treated.
Series of treatments of microneedling is recommended to patients who have superficial nasolabial folds/lines. It creates small channels into the dermis of the skin by using a power hand-piece. It will help stimulate the natural healing process of the body, helps in producing collagen and elastin to revert the nasolabial folds and lines back to their original status and can make them less noticeable. Recommended sessions are from 3-6 treatments, with minor side effects such as swelling and redness however will disappear fast.
Subcision is a surgical process which can highly reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds. This treatment is normally being done to treat scars and acne marks and can also be used in treating folds/lines.
During subcision, a needle is used to break pockets of tissues. It will restructure and reduce the depth of the folds which makes the patient look more youthful.
Aside from subcision, there is another treatment called excision wherein it removes the affected skin and reshape the area in attempt. This procedure uses a scalpel with more dramatic results.
Doctors are looking into using growth factor which is a chemical that stimulates cell growth. A study was conducted in 2015 evaluated growth factor to concentrate injections in 80 people with nasolabial folds. Researchers confirmed that this treatment is safe and possibly effective.
Doctors are still checking new strategies and treatments to reduce nasolabial folds without surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best procedure for nasolabial folds?
- Dermal filler is the best treatment for nasolabial folds since it also does not affect the patient’s smile. Anti Wrinkle Injections is usually being used around the lips and chin muscles. It is not being used often in nasolabial folds.
How can I book for a consultation?
- You may contact us at (03) 9999 7368 from Mondays-Saturdays 9a-9p for bookings or you may fill out the form which can be found on our website www.skinclub.com.au. You may also chat with us via our website.
What to expect after the procedure?
- You might experience bruising and swelling around the area which will quickly go away. We will also send after care guides to follow through after the procedure or even book you in for a review appointment before you leave the cosmetic clinic.
What to expect before the procedure?
- You will have a consultation with our cosmetic doctor to assess the targeted area and discuss the procedure before you make the decision to push through or not. You may discuss your desired results, too. We usually do same day treatments should you wish to proceed however it will be upon the doctor’s discretion.